A good friend of mine shared this delicious recipe with me. When my family gets tired of the same old spaghetti, I like to serve this dish for a change! It provides a flavorful alternative to the Italian version. It's also a great dish when you don't have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen.—Mary Detweiler, Middlefield, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 2 pounds ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 package (12 ounces) spaghetti, cooked and drained
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onions and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add the next 10 ingredients. Cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Serve with spaghetti.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 379 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 699mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 35g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable.
Jan 22, 2010
This is basically chili served on spaghetti. we liked it but substituted cilantro for parsley.
Oct 13, 2009
This sounded a lot better than it tasted. I don't plan to serve it again. To many really good recipes out there.