Mexican Spoon Bread Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2/3 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe olives
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, corn, olives, chili powder, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the cornmeal, milk and salt; bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese and egg.
- Spoon meat mixture into an ungreased 1-qt. baking dish. Pour topping over meat mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 22-26 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 436 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 185mg cholesterol, 1418mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 33g protein.
Jan 6, 2020
This was so simple and delicious! I doubled the recipe to feed my family, which made plenty. The meal was prepped during the football halftime and ready to eat by the end of the game. I didn’t have frozen corn so I cut back the tomato sauce and added a can of creamed corn.
Jan 3, 2012
Made this for my husband and me - a nice amount for 2 people and it was a nice change from your usual tomato/noodle beef casserole. I didn't have any olives so just added more corn. It was easier than the recipe looks, too!