Mexican Skillet Rice Recipe
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 pound chicken tenderloins, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups cooked jasmine or long grain rice
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and sliced
- 1 jar (8 ounces) taco sauce
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1. In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, cook and stir egg over medium-high heat until set. Remove and set aside.
- 2. In the same skillet, stir-fry chicken and onion in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the rice, beans, Mexicorn, peppers, taco sauce and green onions; heat through. Stir in reserved egg. Sprinkle rice with cilantro. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/3 cups: 302 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 793mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Mexican Skillet Rice
"We also have teen Hockey player eating machines...I made it on Monday and they asked me to make it again on Tuesday. It's a keeper. Didn't change a thing. Perfect as is."
"Came out great however, I used ground turkey and using two cups of rice plus all the other is just to much (just the wife and I)But I did give it to our neighbor who has two teen age boy eating machines and it was a hit."
"This dish is right up my husbands alley. So I did a quick menu change when I came across it and surprised him. He really liked it."
"My whole family loved this dish. It's one of those dishes that is easily adaptable to what you have on hand. I didn't have mexicorn so used canned corn plus a little red bell pepper; was out of taco sauce so used picante sauce. I also used up some leftover Mexican style rice from a previous meal. All worked great. Looking forward to making it again with the provided ingredient list!"
"My family (including two picky young boys) love this recipe and I sneak in a few extra veggies!"
"I added a bit more taco seasoning to this recipe for added pazzaz. My Son says it is a make again!"
"Delicious stuff! I eliminated the egg. Also leftovers can be used for taco filling."
"This was really good, and I will add this to our rotation! I did cut the chicken down and I will add more taco sauce next time. But very good!"
"My mother-in-law made this on Mother's Day this year and my husband and I loved it and WILL be making it again!"
"Made this dish for dinner, which included my daughter & her family. The only thing I changed was I used med Taco sauce. It was very pretty & good. Next time, I will heat it up some with peppers. My 2 yr old grandson loved it with chips."
"I made this as indicated, except without the green onions. It was good but not exceptional enough to make again. Especially since my young children didn't seem too crazy about it. I did appreciate that it wasn't terribly expensive."
"We loved this dish, easy to make."
"This is a quick, tasty recipe that's every bit as good as it looks in my Taste of Home magazine. You can make it in the time it takes to cook the rice! I used "mild" taco sauce, but will substitute a little "medium" sauce next time for a little more heat!"
"My daughter made this for us after seeing the picture in the newest magazine. It was great - we all loved it. We will be eating this again. Thanks!"