Mexican Shrimp Salad
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + marinating Grill: 10 min.
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 6 cups torn leaf lettuce
- 1/2 cup fat-free ranch salad dressing
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first nine ingredients; add shrimp. Seal bag and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Thread shrimp onto four metal or soaked wooden skewers; discard onion mixture. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack.
- Grill shrimp, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until shrimp turn pink.
- Divide lettuce among four plates; top with shrimp. Serve immediately with dressing.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 218 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 168mg cholesterol, 716mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Jun 3, 2010
Yummy!!!! The shrimp have lots of flavor. We had the shrimp on top of spinach, with tomatoes on top. Had some texas toast on the side. It was a great, healthy, filling meal!
May 30, 2010
The Salad did not have enough substance,so I added ranch style beans,black beans,celery tomatoes,vinigar and oil dressing.
May 24, 2010
This shrimp was awesome. I did leave out the cilantro, we are not fans. I grilled it, served it with a side salad, some chopped spinach and sliced up red onion. I grilled up a tortilla wrap, broke up the wrap and ate the meal with my fingers. Delicious!
Oct 23, 2009
THIS IS A AWESOME RECIPE. BEST I EVER HAD.I USE THE SEASONING FOR MY SHRIMP ALL THE TIME I ALSO USE IT ON MY FISH.