I was raised in Southern California, not far from the Mexican border. That explains why I like Mexican food as much as I do. Much of my cooking...even when I'm making "American dishes"...is heavily influenced by the kinds of foods and flavors I tasted as a youngster growing up just north of the border.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 quarts salad greens
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 small ripe avocado, peeled
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 to 2 cups corn chips
- In a large bowl, mix together first four ingredients; cover and chill.
- For dressing, mash avocado with a fork in a small bowl. Stir in the sour cream, oil, lemon juice, sugar, seasoned salt and pepper flakes. Just before serving, add corn chips to salad; top with dressing and toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 193 calories, 16g fat (4g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 215mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Mexican Salad in Country Extra January 1993
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.