This recipe combines a ground beef main dish with a rice side dish to make a hearty, satisfying meal. I prepare this pie often because my husband loves it—and he always asks for second helpings!—Denise Simeth, Greendale, Wisconsin
Recommended: 36 Savory Suppertime Pies
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- RICE CRUST:
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons diced pimientos, drained
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup taco sauce
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 large avocado
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon taco sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- In a large saucepan, combine beef broth, rice, butter and salt. Cover and cook rice according to package directions. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Stir in eggs and pimientos.
- Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 10-in. pie plate; set aside. For filling, cook beef until no longer pink; drain. Stir in garlic and cumin; cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in taco sauce and egg. Spoon filling into crust. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for guacamole, mash avocado with a fork in a small bowl. Stir in the onion, taco sauce and lemon juice; cover and set aside. Remove pie from oven; spread guacamole over meat. Top with sour cream. Bake for 5 minutes more. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Mexican Pie in Country Ground Beef 1993, p93