Mexican Hot Cocoa
—Stella Gilbertson, Northfield, Minnesota
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makesabout 5 quarts
- 12 cups water
- 3 to 4 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) chocolate syrup
- 3 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whipped cream, ground cinnamon and cinnamon sticks, optional
- In a large kettle, combine water and cinnamon sticks. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until liquid turns light brown. Remove cinnamon sticks and discard.
- In another bowl, combine the chocolate syrup, milks and vanilla; slowly stir into cinnamon water. Return mixture to a simmer just to heat through. Top servings with whipped cream, cinnamon and cinnamon sticks if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 132 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 48mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Mexican Hot Cocoa in Country Woman Christmas 2005