Mexican Hot Cocoa
—Stella Gilbertson, Northfield, Minnesota
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makesabout 5 quarts
- 12 cups water
- 3 to 4 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) chocolate syrup
- 3 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whipped cream, ground cinnamon and cinnamon sticks, optional
- In a large kettle, combine water and cinnamon sticks. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until liquid turns light brown. Remove cinnamon sticks and discard.
- In another bowl, combine the chocolate syrup, milks and vanilla; slowly stir into cinnamon water. Return mixture to a simmer just to heat through. Top servings with whipped cream, cinnamon and cinnamon sticks if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 132 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 48mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Mexican Hot Cocoa in Country Woman Christmas 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.