Mexican Garden Salad
I'm always watching for delicious new recipes to try, and when I found this salad, I knew it would taste as good as it looks. Although similar to a traditional taco salad, this recipe adds tasty extras like broccoli and carrot. It's stunning on the table. -Dianne Esposite, New Middletown, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 jar (16 ounces) thick and chunky salsa, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1-1/2 heads iceberg lettuce, torn
- 3 cups broccoli florets (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1/2 to 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- Tortilla chips, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add 1 cup salsa, water and taco seasoning; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes; cool.
- In a 3- or 4-qt. glass bowl, layer vegetables in order given. Top with chilies, beef mixture and cheese. Combine sour cream and remaining salsa; serve with salad and tortilla chips if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 241 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 838mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as Mexican Garden Salad in Taste of Home June/July 1995