Mexican Chorizo and Corn Soup
This filling soup is great when you need to warm up on a blustery day! If you want a chowder consistency, use a potato masher to break down some of the spuds. —Laura Davis, Chincoteague Island, Virginia
- 3/4 pound bulk fresh chorizo or spicy pork sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 pounds potatoes (about 4 medium), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 cups frozen corn (about 16 ounces)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Optional: Queso fresco and chopped fresh cilantro
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook and crumble chorizo over medium heat until cooked through, 4-6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove chorizo to paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in pan.
- 2. In drippings, saute onion and red and poblano peppers over medium heat until tender, 8-10 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in flour and seasonings until blended; cook and stir 3 minutes. Gradually stir in broth.
- 3. Add potatoes and corn; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are tender, 10-15 minutes. Stir in sour cream and chorizo; heat through. If desired, serve with cheese and cilantro.
1-1/3 cups: 269 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 1063mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein.
Mar 17, 2020Very tasty!
Nov 24, 2019Delicious! Had no problemo or frozen corn. I used a can of southwestern corn with poblanos in it and a can of fire roasted corn. It's a keeper!
Oct 3, 2019Totally delish! I did not have any chorizo on hand, so I substituted a 1 lb tube of breakfast sausage with a 1/4 tsp chili pepper flakes, plus I used 2 poblano peppers (instead on 1). After making this soup for a group of friends, they all asked me for the recipe! Thank you for sharing!!!!
May 21, 2019We made this tonight. Was a bit of a "we have most of this and ill improvise the rest" dinner. Eyeballed all the measurements. Used garlic powder instead of garlic. Only had 3 small potatoes. Used 2 cans of corn. Added oregano at the end and served over rice. Oh and used a green pepper and half a jalepeno. Super yum. Family loved it. Will make again!
© 2020 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC