Mexican Chocolate Oat Cookies
Colleen Delawder of Herndon, Virginia takes oatmeal cookies to a new level with Mexican chocolate. We added spicy chocolate cinnamon cane sugar for an extra bit of heat and cinnamon-spice. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Gustus Vitae spicy chocolate cinnamon cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 4 ounces Mexican chocolate, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Heat, stirring constantly, until golden brown, 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add sugar; beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Add eggs, vanilla and rum; beat 2 minutes longer.
- In another bowl, whisk together next six ingredients. Add to butter mixture; beat until combined. Fold in chocolate.
- Drop dough by 1/4 cupfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake until set, 12-15 minutes. Remove from pans to a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 311 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 128mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Fat Mexican Reindeer Oatmeal Cookis in Gustus Vitae - Fall 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.