Mexican Chocolate Oat Cookies
Colleen Delawder of Herndon, Virginia takes oatmeal cookies to a new level with Mexican chocolate. We added spicy chocolate cinnamon cane sugar for an extra bit of heat and cinnamon-spice. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Gustus Vitae spicy chocolate cinnamon cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 4 ounces Mexican chocolate, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Heat, stirring constantly, until golden brown, 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add sugar; beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Add eggs, vanilla and rum; beat 2 minutes longer.
- In another bowl, whisk together next six ingredients. Add to butter mixture; beat until combined. Fold in chocolate.
- Drop dough by 1/4 cupfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake until set, 12-15 minutes. Remove from pans to a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 311 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 128mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Fat Mexican Reindeer Oatmeal Cookis in Gustus Vitae - Fall 2018