Mexican Chocolate Crinkles
I love to bake...in fact, my first try at baking "from scratch" is still vivid in my memory. I make a cake for Mom for Mother's Day—and forgot to put in the baking powder! This recipe brings back memories, too—when our two girls were young they often took these cookies to their Scout outings.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Additional sugar
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, corn syrup and melted chocolate. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Roll into walnut-sized balls and roll in sugar; place 3 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes (cookies should by soft). Cool 2-3 minutes before removing to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie 112 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 109mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Mexican Chocolate Crinkles in Sweet and Scrumptious Chocolate
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.