Mexican Chicken Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 1 can (32 ounces) V8 juice
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute chicken in oil until no longer pink. Add water and taco seasoning; simmer, uncovered, until chicken is well coated.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the V8 juice, salsa, beans and corn. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until heated through. Serve with cheese, sour cream and cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 345 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 1315mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 7g fiber), 31g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 13, 2018
I used my instant pot to make this. I first sauteed about half an onion and four cloves of garlic. I also already used some previously cooked chicken. 10 minutes on high pressure with quick release did the trick. I doubled the recipe and it took 37 minutes to come up to pressure. Overall about an hour. It's going on our list of go-to recipes.
Dec 20, 2017
This soup was good on the day it was made, but was not a great leftover.
Feb 11, 2017
This soup is very tasty. I wouldn't change a thing.
Mar 28, 2016
I will absolutely make this again, but since I like my soup in the thick side, I will skip the water. Rather than V8, I used cream of chicken soup since my family isn't much on V8 and tomato products. But I did keep in the salsa. Instead of just eating it like soup, we dipped some tortilla chips in as well. Even my 2 year old enjoyed that! And can't beat the convenience of using the slow cooker.
Mar 17, 2015
Great taste, easy to make. My whole family voted it a keeper. It's been on our regular menu for several months now.
Feb 7, 2015
Very easy to make and flavorful. I used the Perdue Shortcuts Southwest seasoned chicken. I buy them only when they are on sale and I have coupons, so I'm usually stocked up in the freezer. Definitely a keeper. Next time I will make it in a soup pot instead of a slow cooker and maybe add a little green chilles.
Jan 27, 2015
Very tasty and simple to make. Great with tortilla chip scoops!
Jan 25, 2015
Surprisingly flavorful given the few ingredients. Definite keeper! I left out the corn but served with corn bread on the side.
Jan 1, 2015
This was awesome. Easy and super tasty. Loved it.
Sep 15, 2014
GOOD CHOICE.Alton Brown is a fantastic Chef on food network. I follow him often !