Chopped green chilies and flakes of red pepper provide flecks of color in every slice of this large loaf. Slightly spicy with ground cumin, it's great for sandwiches or as an accompaniment to mild soups.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 3-4 hours
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water (70° to 80°)
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3-1/4 cups bread flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In a bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available.
- Bake according to bread machine directions; (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
Editor's NoteWe recommend you do not use a bread machine's time-delay feature for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 115 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 279mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Mexican Bread in Quick Cooking September/October 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.