Mexican Black Bean Burgers
My husband's a vegetarian so I love finding meatless recipes we all like. These burgers are not only easy to make, but they freeze well. We sometimes top them with chipotle mayo for a more smoky flavor. They're good with hot sauce, too. —Ellen Finger, Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 20 min.+ chilling Bake: 20 min.
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 1/2 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 cup dry whole wheat bread crumbs
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 4 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 4 tablespoons salsa
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place chiles, onion, pepper and garlic in a food processor; pulse until finely chopped. Drain and set aside. In a large bowl, mash beans. Add the onion mixture, egg, chili powder, cumin and bread crumbs; mix well.
- Shape into 4 patties; transfer to a 15x10x1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Bake until heated through, 8-10 minutes on each side. Serve on buns with sour cream and salsa.
Nutrition Facts1 burger: 354 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 751mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 12g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as Mexican Black Bean Burgers in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.