Mexican Black Bean Burgers
My husband's a vegetarian so I love finding meatless recipes we all like. These burgers are not only easy to make, but they freeze well. We sometimes top them with chipotle mayo for a more smoky flavor. They're good with hot sauce, too. —Ellen Finger, Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 20 min.+ chilling Bake: 20 min.
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 1/2 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 cup dry whole wheat bread crumbs
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 4 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 4 tablespoons salsa
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place chiles, onion, pepper and garlic in a food processor; pulse until finely chopped. Drain and set aside. In a large bowl, mash beans. Add the onion mixture, egg, chili powder, cumin and bread crumbs; mix well.
- Shape into 4 patties; transfer to a 15x10x1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Bake until heated through, 8-10 minutes on each side. Serve on buns with sour cream and salsa.