Mexican Beef & Pasta
- 3 cups uncooked whole wheat spiral pasta
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Crushed tortilla chips, optional
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Stir in the pasta, tomatoes, beans, corn, salsa, green chilies, olives and taco seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until heated through. Serve with sour cream and chips if desired.
1 each: 305 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 737mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 7g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable.
Oct 22, 2012
I didn't have the salsa or the olives and chips. I sub'd canned corn and green olives. The green olives gave it a kick. Loved this. I can see using chicken in this recipe too.
May 16, 2012
Family favorite - I have made over and over again. It's a keeper!
Jun 1, 2011
I cut the recipe in half which worked out well. I can't imagine how much it would make otherwise. ;) It was super simple, hearty and tasted good!
Apr 16, 2011
Delicious & super simple. However, I don't know how you're supposed to fit it all in one skillet! lol. By the time all the ingredients were added, I had to dump it all in a big pot. I didn't have taco seasoning, so I made my own (+ less sodium!) Still came out wonderfully. :)
Apr 8, 2011
This recipe made enough to feed an army. Way too much food for us - we'll be eating it all weekend. That said, it was really good. I left off the tortilla chips and sour cream to save calories, but I did put on a little shredded jack cheese. Pretty good!
Dec 31, 1969
This was very good and easy to put together. A nice quick and hearty meal. We all enjoyed it! Thank you for the recipe. Oh, and it makes a lot.
Mar 30, 2011
My sister and I thought this tasted great! It made a huge amount.