Mexican Beef & Bean Stew
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 8 hours
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 2 small carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Tortilla chips and shredded cheddar cheese
- Combine the flour, salt and pepper in a large resealable plastic bag. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- Brown meat in batches in oil in a large skillet; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the beans, corn, potatoes, carrots, celery and onion.
- Whisk the tomato sauce, water, taco seasoning and cumin; pour over top. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. Serve with tortilla chips and cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without chips and cheese): 254 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 983mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 6g fiber), 16g protein.
Oct 7, 2019
Love the flavor and was easy to fix.
Oct 8, 2017
Nice dish but it needs some adjustments. Too acidic, needs more sweetening. And it needs more beef. . So I will make I again but I will add another 1/2 pound of beef, bay leaves, another carrot and instead of water I will substitute beef broth.
Mar 13, 2016
Perfect dish and I added some sour cream to each bowl before serving.
Dec 9, 2013
It was very good.
Sep 27, 2013
easy. topped it with sour cream. delicious.
Apr 4, 2013
I made it today and it was excellent.
Feb 18, 2013
What a nice surprise when we got home! Easy and really tasty. I omitted the potatos and added a red pepper. Served over rice. Everyone loved it.