Mexican Beef and Mushrooms
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 2-1/2 pounds boneless beef top round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 jars (6 ounces each) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, cook beef and onion in butter for 4-6 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Stir in the mushrooms, salsa, water, salt and chili powder. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Serve over rice and top with sour cream and cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 420 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 122mg cholesterol, 673mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 38g protein.
Jul 10, 2017
This beef is excellent served over rice or noodles!! Yum!
Dec 30, 2011
Great recipe! I use ground beef instead of steak so it's faster to make and it's also more like a nacho dip. I just brown the beef with the onion and garlic and then add the salsa, salt, and chili powder and heat through.
Nov 4, 2010
The flavor was good but it was very watery. There really wasn't any sauce coating the meet or vegetables when I made it. I think this is because I bought fresh salsa in a tub anbd not jar salsa and it had a lot of water in it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.