- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 green onions, chopped
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add celery, green pepper and onion; cook and stir until tender.
- Stir in tomatoes, beans, rice, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 7-9 minutes or until heated through. Top with cheese, sour cream and green onions. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forMexican Beans and Rice
"To Lorraine (the recipe poster), THANK YOU for sharing one of your recipes so that my family can enjoy something your family does."
"This really is wonderful. You can switch up ingredients to your favorites. This is great and I make changes all the time."
"I made this with white rice. I followed each step of recipe. I thought this was great,.I definitely will make this again and try using different type of Beans. Thanks for the recipe."
"Tasty and fulfilling"
"This recipe was so good. The only thing I did different was use Black Beans, add a Jalapeno, cumin and extra chili powder. My husband asked that we make this as a special side dish to go along with our Mexican dishes. It would take very little to make it a main dish by adding meat of your choice."
"This looks great! Unfortunately, hubby won't eat beans unless they are mashed unrecognizable. So, I think if I mash them and add dollops to the dish, he might really like it. As for me, I love it just the way it is presented here.Also, it depends on personal taste how one seasons this dish. I added a little salt which brings out all the flavors. : )"
"Great foundation recipe. I added garlic, black beans ,and chilies, doulbled chili powder, doubled veggies, added a drizzle of avacado oil,and used basmati rice. Outstanding!"
"This was delicious! We used white rice instead of brown and tomatoes with chiles. Next time I'd like to try it with pinto beans. Also, subbed soy sauce for Worcestershire since I was out."