Mexican Bean ‘n’ Barley Chili
Chili powder adds just the right amount of “heat” to this filling, fast and fabulous vegetarian meal idea from Lana Day in Bloomington, Indiana. It’s one easy, cold-weather recipe the whole family will warm to…and it feeds a bunch!
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes10 servings (about 3-1/2 quarts)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 each medium green and sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, saute onion and garlic in oil for 2 minutes. Stir in peppers; cook 3-4 minutes longer or until tender.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until barley is tender.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 247 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 836mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 11g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Mexican Bean & Barley Chili in Light & Tasty February/March 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.