- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 2 cups cooked barley
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, saute onions and garlic in oil until tender. Add the turnip, carrot and jalapeno; cook and stir until tender. Add cumin and coriander; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the barley, beans and lemon juice. Simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes longer or until soup thickens slightly. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews forMexican Bean Barley Soup
"I expected a spicy soup but was disappointed at how bland it was.I used serrano peppers,but could not taste them in the finished product.I added some Old Bay seasoning to the leftovers and it helped,but I don't think I will use this recipe again"