Mexicali Meat Loaf
My family got tired of the regular old meatloaf, so I decided to zip it up a bit this Mexican flair. It is now one of my family's favorite dinners.—Brenda Stueve, Olpe, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 8 slices process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 2 small green peppers, cut into rings
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Pat into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat. Stir in cheese until melted. Add corn.
- Drain meat loaf; top with corn mixture and pepper rings. Bake 30 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 471 calories, 25g fat (13g saturated fat), 146mg cholesterol, 1243mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 34g protein.
Originally published as Mexicali Meat Loaf in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book