This recipe has been a family favorite for many years. It’s great served with Spanish rice and refried beans. You can cilantro to the salsa, if you like. —Avanell Hewitt, North Richland Hills, Texas
Featured In: 24 Game-Changing Grilling Recipes For Two
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 2 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, halved
- 2 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese
- 2 lime wedges
- In a small bowl, combine the tomato, onion, jalapeno, lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Chill until serving.
- Sprinkle chicken with taco seasoning; set aside. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain.
- If grilling the chicken, using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°.
- Top with bacon and cheese; cook 1 minute longer or until cheese is melted. Serve with salsa; squeeze lime wedges over top. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Mexicali Chicken for Two in Healthy Cooking