Mexicali Chicken for Two
This recipe has been a family favorite for many years. It’s great served with Spanish rice and refried beans. You can cilantro to the salsa, if you like. —Avanell Hewitt, North Richland Hills, Texas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 2 bacon strips, halved
- 2 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese
- 2 lime wedges
- In a small bowl, combine the tomato, onion, jalapeno, lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Chill until serving.
- Sprinkle chicken with taco seasoning; set aside. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain.
- If grilling the chicken, using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°.
- Top with bacon and cheese; cook 1 minute longer or until cheese is melted. Serve with salsa; squeeze lime wedges over top.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 228 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 532mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Mexicali Chicken in Healthy Cooking October/November 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.