- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef (95% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1/2 cup water
- 2/3 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook and crumble beef with onion over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in seasonings, tomatoes, tomato sauce, corn and water; bring to a boil. Stir in macaroni. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until macaroni is tender, 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forMexi-Mac Skillet
"Classic recipe! Been using this recipe for years. Easiy variations include using spicy ground pork in place of beef. Or adding a can of drained black beans at end. This makes a great weeknight meal. Perfect side dishes include salad or a tray of fresh fruit. As a volunteer feild editor with Taste of Home magazine I enjoy recipes that are easily adaptable to my family’s tastes!"
"This recipe is fabulous. It was perfect on a cold evening. I followed the recipe but did add a little more chili powder (about a teaspoon more) to increase the flavor but use your own judgment. This is a quick and easy recipe and perfect for when you are in a hurry to get dinner on the table. I highly recommend this recipe.Volunteer Field Editor"
"A quick yet highly satisfying meal. So delicious that family members went back for third helpings."
"Great dish! I made a few adaptations. I wanted a heavier pasta (double) ratio and to add kidney beans. To accommodate that I : Added half a a chili packet to beef/onion mixture and the other half to the spice mixture. I added another can of sauce and doubled the water, but used beef stock instead . A definite keeper!"
"I doubled everything in the recipe but the meat. This was delicious and I loved that I had leftovers to freeze by doing this."
"I doubled the noodles and tomato sauce."
"easy to make and I thought it tasted pretty good, but the wife didn't care for the tomatoes, so unfortunately, probably won't make this one again."
"easy and excellent flavor."