Merry Note Cookies
These cookies made with a recipe similar to one my mom always used, were a fitting dessert before we set out for caroling for the holidays.—Nella Parker, Hersey, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min.
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Red and green colored sugar
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate the dough for 2 hours.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a 3-3/4x2-1/2-in. musical note cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugar.
- Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 162 calories, 9g fat (6g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 115mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Merry Note Cookies in Taste of Home December/January 2005
Dec 22, 2011
I make a double batch of these every year for christmas, the cream cheese, give a moisture texture. But i use a karo syrup icing recipe for the topping, so you can pack them without stem sticking together. Not a fan of the sugar topping.