- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Red and green colored sugar
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate the dough for 2 hours.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a 3-3/4x2-1/2-in. musical note cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugar.
- Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Reviews forMerry Note Cookies
"I make a double batch of these every year for Christmas, the cream cheese, give a moisture texture. But i use a karo syrup icing recipe for the topping, so you can pack them without stem sticking together. Not a fan of the sugar topping."