Merry Christmas Rice
"INSTANT RICE makes this dish an instant success! It's another recipe I added 'by children's demand', and we've found it not only delicious, but a very colorful addition to our Christmas table."
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 25 min. + standing
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1-1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 2 cups (1/2 pound) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1-1/3 cups quick-cooking rice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 apple, peeled and sliced
- In a saucepan, combine 1/2 cup water and 1 cup sugar; bring to a boil. Add the cranberries; return to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes or until most of the berries pop, stirring occasionally. Add rice, remaining water, remaining sugar, cinnamon and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in apple. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 278 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 51mg sodium, 69g carbohydrate (48g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Merry Christmas Rice in Reminisce Extra December 1993
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.