Merry Cherry Bars
These luscious bars, filled with cherries and almonds, really suit the Christmas season. I sometimes put a cup of coconut in a clean jar with a few drops of red food coloring. After a few shakes, I have tinted coconut to sprinkle on top.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup finely chopped maraschino cherries, drained
- CHERRY ICING:
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup cherry juice blend
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- In a bowl, combine flour and confectioners' sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine brown sugar and eggs; mix well. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to egg mixture. Stir in almonds and cherries. Spread over crust. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bars begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool on a wire rack. In a small bowl, beat icing ingredients until smooth. Frost bars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 179 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 108mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Merry Cherry Bars in Country Woman Christmas 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.