Merry Berry Appetizer
Not only is this appetizer a treat to eat, it shapes up into lots of fun, too. Form the soft cream cheese into a cane and spoon stripes of ruby-red cranberry mixture over the top. You'll have a treat that looks as good as it tastes! —Gloria Rohlfing, York, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 15 min. + chilling
- 3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup dried currants
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon each ground allspice, cardamom, cloves and ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1-1/2 pounds cream cheese or Brie
- Combine the cranberries, sugar, currants, water and spices in a nonaluminum saucepan. Cook and stir over medium-high heat for 6-8 minutes or until most of the berries have popped. Cool, then refrigerate.
- If using cream cheese, shape into a candy cane if desired. Spoon cranberry mixture over cheese. Serve with crackers or sliced apples.
Originally published as Merry Berry Appetizer in Crafting Traditions November/December 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.