Meringue Torte with Peppermint Cream
The mother of my brother-in-law, Bill, often made this melt-in-your-mouth torte. A few years after she passed away, I surprised him by serving it at Christmas. He was delighted.—Christine Venzon, Peoria, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- 2 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup crushed soft peppermint candies
- Chocolate curls
- Additional crushed soft peppermint candies
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Add water, vinegar, extract, salt and, if desired, food coloring; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Preheat oven to 300°. With a pencil, draw three 8x5-in. rectangles on parchment paper. Place paper, pencil marks down, on baking sheets. Spread meringue evenly over each rectangle.
- Bake 20 minutes. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1-1/2 hours. Remove from oven; cool on baking sheets. When cooled completely, remove meringues from paper.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Spread a third of the chocolate mixture over each meringue. In a large bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form; fold in peppermint candies.
- Place a chocolate-covered meringue on a serving plate; top with a third of the peppermint cream. Repeat layers twice. Top with chocolate curls and additional crushed candies.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Bob’s Sweet Stripes peppermint candies.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 304 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 52mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.