Meringue-Topped Spice Cupcakes
These yummy cupcakes from Pam Good of Washington Island, Wisconsin are moist and tender and capped with swirls of golden brown meringue. "I found the recipe in an old cookbook I picked up at an auction. My dad pronounced it a winner the first time I made it," she writes.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup ground pecans
- Place egg whites in a bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Add the egg yolks, milk and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, pumpkin pie spice and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture until combined.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in nuts. Spread about 2 tablespoons over each cupcake.
- Bake 11-12 minutes longer or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into cupcake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 253 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 154mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Meringue-Topped Spice Cupcakes in Country Woman March/April 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.