BRIMMING with fancy flavors, these Chrstmasy treats will keep tasty pace with a stocking birthday party—or any other December get-together! Crafting Traditions' cooks got their idea off the ground by arranging tender meringue into a delectable set of sock-shaped shells. Finally—for a taste-tickling finish—our kitchen staff spread the confections with both tangy cranberry and sweet cream cheese fillings. Simply follow the step-by-step directions for the desserts here. In no time, you'll be sweeping folks of their feet!
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- CRANBERRY FILLING:
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cranberry juice
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 32 to 48 small mint leaves
- Dried cranberries, halved
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add cream of tartar and vanilla; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, a tablespoon at a time, on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spoon meringue into 16 mounds on the paper. Using icing spatula, shape each into a 4-1/2-in. stocking. Bake at 300° for 35 minutes. Turn oven off and do not open door; let meringues dry in oven for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and cool on baking sheet. When meringues are completely cooled, remove from parchment paper and store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- For cranberry filling, combine the sugar, cornstarch and cranberry juice in a saucepan until smooth. Stir in the cranberries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; cook until berries pop, about 5 minutes. Mash and cool.
- For cream cheese filling, in a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Fold in whipped cream. Spoon into a pastry or plastic bag. Cut a small hole in the corner of bag; insert #18 star tip. Pipe cream cheese mixture in a 1-in. band at the top of each stocking; pipe mixture to form heel and toe of stocking.
- Spread 4-1/2 teaspoons cranberry filling in the center of each stocking. For the holly decoration on the stocking cuff, garnish with mint leaves and dried cranberries.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 203 calories, 7g fat (5g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 32mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Meringue Stockings in Crafting Traditions November/December 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.