BRIMMING with fancy flavors, these Chrstmasy treats will keep tasty pace with a stocking birthday party—or any other December get-together! Crafting Traditions' cooks got their idea off the ground by arranging tender meringue into a delectable set of sock-shaped shells. Finally—for a taste-tickling finish—our kitchen staff spread the confections with both tangy cranberry and sweet cream cheese fillings. Simply follow the step-by-step directions for the desserts here. In no time, you'll be sweeping folks of their feet!
Recommended: 30 Favorite Halloween Cookies
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 egg white
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- CRANBERRY FILLING:
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cranberry juice
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- CRAM CHEESE FILLING:
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Star pastry tip #18
- 32 to 48 small mint leaves
- 8 dried cranberries, halved
- Place egg whites in a mixing bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, a tablespoon at a time, on high speed until stiff peaks form. Beat in vanilla. Cover baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Spoon meringue into 16 mounds on the paper. Using icing spatula, shape each into a 4-1/2-in. stocking.
- Bake at 300° for 35 minutes. Turn oven off and do not open door; let meringues dry in oven for 1 hour. Remove from oven and cool on baking sheet. when meringues are completely cooled, remove from parchment paper or foil and store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- For cranberry filling, combine the sugar, cornstarch and cranberry juice in a saucepan until smooth. Stir in the cranberries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat. cook until berries pop, about 5 minutes. Mash; cool.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Fold in whipped cream. Spoon into a pastry or plastic bag. Cut a small hole in the corner of bag; insert star tip. Pipe cream cheese mixture in a 1-in. band at the top of each stocking; pipe mixture to form heal and toe of stocking.
- Spread 4-1/2 teaspoons cranberry filling in the center of each stocking. For the holly decoration on the stocking's cuff, garnish with mint leaves and dried cranberries. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Meringue Stockings in Country Woman November/December 2000, p55