My family has passed down this elegant dessert generation by generation. It started with my Russian great-grandmother, who traveled to America more than 100 years ago. I love continuing the tradition with her recipe. —Tonya Burkhard, Palm Coast, Florida
Featured In: Recipes Inspired by The Great British Baking Show
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 large egg whites
- 4 large egg yolks plus 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 6-1/4 cups whole milk, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Chopped glazed pecans, optional
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. In a large heavy saucepan, whisk egg yolks, eggs, 1 cup sugar and cornstach until blended; stir in 4 cups milk. Cook over medium-low heat 10-15 minutes or until mixture is just thick enough to coat a metal spoon and a thermometer reads at least 160°, stirring constantly. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat immediately. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer into a large bowl.
- Place bowl in an ice-water bath. Stir occasionally for 5 minutes. Stir in 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour.
- For snowballs, add cream of tartar to egg whites; beat on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Stir in remaining vanilla. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form.
- In a large heavy skillet, bring remaining milk barely to a simmer over medium-low heat. Working in batches and using two soup spoons, drop meringue by 1/3 cupfuls into milk; poach meringues 4-6 minutes or until firm to the touch, turning once. Using a slotted spoon, remove meringues to paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining meringue, making a total of 12 snowballs. (Discard remaining milk.) If desired, serve with pecans. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Meringue Snowballs in Custard in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2016, p169
Reviews forMeringue Snowballs In Custard
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 18, 2017
"For those of you thinking of trying this, this was Julia Child's favorite dessert!"