Meringue Rhubarb Pie
My husband and brother, former "rhubarb haters", now can't wait for the first stalks of that plant to appear, heralding spring and their favorite pie!
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For crust, in a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Gradually add the flour, oats and salt and mix well. Press over the bottom and sides of a 9-in. pie plate. Cover and refrigerate.
- Combine rhubarb and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Combine the sugar, flour and salt; add to the rhubarb mixture. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Cool slightly.
- Pour filling into crust. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Beat in vanilla. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 386 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 363mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Rhubarb Meringue Pie in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook