Meringue Rhubarb Pie
My husband and brother, former "rhubarb haters", now can't wait for the first stalks of that plant to appear, heralding spring and their favorite pie!
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For crust, in a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Gradually add the flour, oats and salt and mix well. Press over the bottom and sides of a 9-in. pie plate. Cover and refrigerate.
- Combine rhubarb and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Combine the sugar, flour and salt; add to the rhubarb mixture. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Cool slightly.
- Pour filling into crust. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Beat in vanilla. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 386 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 363mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Rhubarb Meringue Pie in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.