Meringue Ice Cream Torte
"This recipe looks a little long, but it really isn't complicated," relates Alice Christmas of Statesboro, Georgia. "The sweet result is certainly worth the effort."
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 2 hours + freezing
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- RASPBERRY SAUCE:
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- ICE CREAM LAYERS:
- 1 quart coffee ice cream, softened
- 1-1/3 cups sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 quart chocolate chip ice cream, softened
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Fresh raspberries
- Place egg whites in a small bowl. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper; draw three 8-1/2-in. circles on paper.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Drop meringue in mounds onto circles; spread to cover.
- Bake at 250° for 1-1/4 hours or until set. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and cool on baking sheets. When completely cooled, remove meringues from paper.
- Drain raspberries, reserving juice. Set berries aside. Add enough water to juice to measure 1/2 cup. In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in maple syrup and juice mixture until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; gently stir in reserved berries. Cool.
- To assemble, place one meringue in a 10-in. springform pan. Spread with coffee ice cream; sprinkle with a third of the almonds. Top with a second meringue. Spread with chocolate chip ice cream; sprinkle with a third of the almonds. Top with remaining meringue. Cover and freeze overnight.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and almond extract; beat until stiff peaks form. Remove torte from freezer; carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen. Remove side of pan. Frost with whipped cream.
- Garnish with fresh raspberries and remaining almonds. Cover and freeze for at least 2 hours. Remove from the freezer for 20 minutes before serving. Serve with raspberry sauce.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.