- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- RASPBERRY SAUCE:
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- ICE CREAM LAYERS:
- 1 quart coffee ice cream, softened
- 1-1/3 cups sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 quart chocolate chip ice cream, softened
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Fresh raspberries
- Place egg whites in a small bowl. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper; draw three 8-1/2-in. circles on paper.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Drop meringue in mounds onto circles; spread to cover.
- Bake at 250° for 1-1/4 hours or until set. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and cool on baking sheets. When completely cooled, remove meringues from paper.
- Drain raspberries, reserving juice. Set berries aside. Add enough water to juice to measure 1/2 cup. In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in maple syrup and juice mixture until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; gently stir in reserved berries. Cool.
- To assemble, place one meringue in a 10-in. springform pan. Spread with coffee ice cream; sprinkle with a third of the almonds. Top with a second meringue. Spread with chocolate chip ice cream; sprinkle with a third of the almonds. Top with remaining meringue. Cover and freeze overnight.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and almond extract; beat until stiff peaks form. Remove torte from freezer; carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen. Remove side of pan. Frost with whipped cream.
- Garnish with fresh raspberries and remaining almonds. Cover and freeze for at least 2 hours. Remove from the freezer for 20 minutes before serving. Serve with raspberry sauce. Yield: 14-16 servings.
Reviews forMeringue Ice Cream Torte
"Loved the meringue bottom and who doesn't love ice cream the raspberry sauce was awesome loved the maple in it. This is a keeper"