- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- FUDGE TOPPING:
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped pistachio nuts
- Place egg whites in a small bowl and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. Beat egg whites with almond extract, cream of tartar and salt on medium speed until soft peaks form. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Drop meringue mixture by teaspoonfuls onto prepared sheets. With a small spoon, make a small indentation in the center of each. Bake at 250° for 30-35 minutes or until dry to the touch.
- For topping, combine chocolate chips and butter in a small saucepan. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until chips are melted and mixture is smooth. Combine egg yolks and confectioners' sugar. Reduce heat to low. Gradually whisk into chocolate mixture. Cook and stir for 1 minute longer or until mixture reaches 160°. Cool to room temperature, whisking several times. Spoon into center of meringue. Sprinkle with nuts. Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forMeringue Fudge Drops
"I used peppermint extract instead of almond extract and used red, green and white Christmas sprinkles instead of pistachios. They taste delicious and look so pretty!"
"I love these!"
"I love these!"
"very good and easy to make, placed peanut butter underneath fudge for different taste"
"When using the substitute for half and half, can non-fat evaporated milk be used?"