Meringue Coconut Bars
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream the butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture just until blended (batter will be thick). Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with the chocolate chips, coconut and walnuts.
- In another large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining brown sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat until stiff peaks form. Spread over the top.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (do not overbake). Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 brownie: 158 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 79mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
May 8, 2017
I fixed these for Sunday dinner and there were such a hit that friends served the remaining ones for a potluck. They were loved by all!
Dec 9, 2012
Easy, delicious, and what a great change from a "regular" brownie! These were a smash hit at home and at work!
Dec 4, 2012
These are so sinfully good!
Sep 3, 2012
I made these brownies when they recipe came out in 2005 for the Brownie contest! They were a real hit with the youth group I would bake for each month! Yes, I would make this recipe again! I made these brownies again 9/5/14! I greased and floured my baking pan! I'd made adjustments with the salt and baking soda and used 1 tsp. each of baking soda and salt. I'd used 1/2 cup butter and 1/4 cup vegetable shortening to conserve on my butter supply! The chocolate chips, I reduced to 1 cup and I crushed enough miniature DARK CHOCOLATE Hershey candy bars in my food processor to make 2/3 cup to 3/4 cup. I kept the amount of coconut the same! I omitted the nuts!I baked 30 minutes and brownies tested done! delowenstein
May 4, 2012
Excellent taste but am I doing something wrong when spreading the meringue? I had a hard time spreading it. Any suggestions?
Oct 3, 2011
Like cookbookmom says: people are fascinated with hte meringue, and the combination of meringue, coconut and chocolate chips, is just spectacular. I would make it again 1000 more times!
Jul 9, 2011
These are so good. I have made them many times and everyone loves them! They are definately worth making.
Sep 23, 2010
I made this recipe for a co-worker's birthday, and the whole office flipped for them! The name doesn't quite capture this delicious little treasure. My co-workers re-named them little gooey magic bites. They are divine!
Oct 19, 2008
These are amazing--even without the nuts! Most people are fascinated by the meringue topping. Can't be beat!