- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream the butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture just until blended (batter will be thick). Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with the chocolate chips, coconut and walnuts.
- In another large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining brown sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat until stiff peaks form. Spread over the top.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (do not overbake). Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews forMeringue Coconut Bars
"easy, delicious, and what a great change from a "regular" brownie! These were a smash hit at home and at work!"
"These are so sinfully good!"
"I made these brownies when they recipe came out in 2005 for the Brownie contest! They were a real hit with the youth group I would bake for each month! Yes, I would make this recipe again! I made these brownies again 9/5/14! I greased and floured my baking pan! I'd made adjustments with the salt and baking soda and used 1 tsp. each of baking soda and salt. I'd used 1/2 cup butter and 1/4 cup vegetable shortening to conserve on my butter supply! The chocolate chips, I reduced to 1 cup and I crushed enough miniature DARK chocolate Hershey candy bars in my food processor to make 2/3 cup to 3/4 cup. I kept the amount of coconut the same! I omitted the nuts!I baked 30 minutes and brownies tested done! delowenstein"
"Excellent taste but am I doing something wrong when spreading the meringue? I had a hard time spreading it. Any suggestions?"
"Like cookbookmom says: people are fascinated with hte meringue, and the combination of meringue, coconut and chocolate chips, is just spectacular. I would make it again 1000 more times!"
"These are so good. I have made them many times and everyone loves them! They are definately worth making."
"I made this recipe for a co-worker's birthday, and the whole office flipped for them! The name doesn't quite capture this delicious little treasure. My co-workers re-named them little gooey magic bites. They are divine!"
"These are amazing--even without the nuts! Most people are fascinated by the meringue topping. Can't be beat!"