Melt-in-Your-Mouth Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 pound medium red potatoes, quartered
- 1 cup fresh baby carrots
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- Place potatoes and carrots in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Cut roast in half. Combine the mustard, rosemary, garlic salt, thyme and pepper; rub over roast.
- Place in slow cooker; top with onion and broth. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Freeze option: Place sliced pot roast and vegetables in freezer containers; top with cooking juices. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, gently stirring and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 352 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 657mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 35g protein.
Apr 6, 2018
This roast is good and easy to make! It is not the absolute best roast I've ever made but it used things I already had at home and was quick and easy to get started. It was definitely tender and juicy after 7 hours on low and the vegetables were cooked perfectly. I would add French onion soup mix next time I make it. The only adjustments I made were adding a couple cloves of fresh garlic and a whole can (14 oz) of beef broth instead of 1.5 cups.
Jan 13, 2018
Wonderful aroma filled the house.
Jun 20, 2017
Just made this. The rosemary is better suited with lamb. Made a gravy with the juices and cornstarch for flavor. Add salt and pepper for more flavor.
Feb 19, 2017
Used bottom round roast, reduced sodium beef broth, garlic powder instead of garlic salt, and minced dried onion in place of fresh. Definitely will make it again.
Jan 8, 2017
Followed the recipe exactly. It was AWESOME.
Dec 20, 2016
On the advice of other reviewers I added a packet of onion soup mix. I think with that addition this is a 4 star recipe. My husband really liked it.
Oct 23, 2016
This turned out fabulous. I used fresh herbs and added 1 cup of water and a package of brown gravy mix about an hour before it was done. I will definitely make this again.
Oct 21, 2016
This was the first time I've ever cooked a Pot Roast in my crockpot.. It was a success. Meat is very tender, as are the pots and carrots, ( I added 1 stalk of celery as well ) however, I did add a packet of Lipton Onion Soup Mix, the last hour, because the flavor wasn't very powerful.. I barely used Rosemary and Thyme, so I didn't have an issue with over powering taste.. Family loved it , I'll definitely make it again.Thanks
Oct 2, 2016
I normally use the "Flavorful Pot Roast" recipe from Taste of Home, but decided to venture out and try this recipe because at a glance it has a 4 star rating and #1 ribbon, but DO NOT waste your time on this recipe. It may melt in your mouth, but it is bland and awful. At the last minute, I added the contents from the flavorful recipe just to not ruin my roast!
Aug 18, 2016
It was okay, nothing spectacular.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.