Melt-in-Your-Mouth Chuck Roast
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, halved and sliced
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Mix first10 ingredients. Place onion, green pepper and celery in a 5-qt. slow cooker; place roast over top. Pour tomato mixture over roast. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 5-6 hours.
- Remove roast. Strain cooking juices, reserving vegetables. Transfer juices to a small saucepan; skim fat. Mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve roast and vegetables with gravy.
Freeze option: Place sliced beef and vegetables in freezer containers; top with gravy. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through slowly in a covered saucepan, stirring gently and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts4 ounces cooked beef with 1/3 cup gravy: 362 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 880mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 2g fiber), 31g protein.
Oct 15, 2019
I was a bit disappointed with this. I followed the recipe to at "T" and the meat was tough and I didn't particularly care for the seasonings. Needless to say, I will not be making this recipe again. :(
Oct 2, 2019
I agree with Sue, no need to be rude here, over a recipe. I haven't made this recipe yet, but I will, and I will refer to all the comments and make it mine.
Oct 2, 2019
We absolutely love this recipe. Have made it twice now and can't rave enough about it. So yummy!
Sep 13, 2019
A very nice start for a recipe, though I decided to replace the ketchup with tomato puree and reduced the sugar. As I see it, recipes are only a guideline. For those that found it too sweet. have a go with these changes.
Jun 16, 2019
So delicious! I chose to pressure cook the meat it literally melted in your mouth! The flavor was just right! Grandparents came over and we all enjoyed this dinner together ??
Apr 28, 2019
I was not impressed with this recipe as the gravy was just too sweet.
Mar 24, 2019
I followed some of the reviews here, but I should've stick with the recipe. I cut the sugar to just 1 TBSP and it wasn't enough. The tomatoes and ketchup were acidic, need that sugar which I added later along with cornstarch. I think it was delicious, but will cook longer next time, only had 4 hours today.
Mar 13, 2019
I will make it again but will definitely leave out the brown sugar. Didn't really like the sweetness.
Feb 24, 2019
This was the best chuck roast recipe I've had in a long time, moist and meaty. My whole family enjoyed it, even my son who doesn't care for tomatoes. This recipe is a keeper!
Feb 10, 2019
This dish was WAY too sweet for my liking. It was moist and the meat well cooked (we did ours in the oven at 325 for 1-3/4 hours). The addition of so much cornstartch at the end made the "gravy" chalky - perhaps just less of it would have sufficed. Perhaps if we had not seared the meat or sauteed the vegetables prior to putting the roast back in and topping with tomato mixture, this dish may have turned out more savory. We won't make this again.