Melon Swan Fruit Bowl
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
Makes1 Melon Swan Fruit Bowl
- 1 large honeydew melon
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 medium peach
- Fresh mint (optional)
- Directions: With a sharp knife, cut a thin slice from the bottom of the melon so it sits level.
- Place a sheet of waxed paper over the swan pattern and trace with fine-line permanent marker. Cut out pattern. Place pattern on melon so the base of the swan’s neck is
- at the lower, broader end of melon. Attach pattern to melon with masking tape (see photo 1).
- With a sharp knife, trace over the design outline on the rind (the pattern is for the neck, head and sides of swan; the tail is cut without a pattern). After tracing, reverse the pattern. Lay it
- on the opposite side of the melon with the base of the neck overlapping the traced neck. Trace only the side wing portion of the pattern (see photo 2).
- Mark the ends of the traced lines on each side of the melon with toothpicks. Mark the center of this area with another toothpick. Beginning in the middle and working toward the toothpicks, cut four tall peaks (as shown in photo 3) into the rind to form the tail. Remove the toothpicks after cutting.
- With knife, retrace designs, cutting deeper into melon. Cut and remove unwanted portions of rind in small sections (see photo 4).
- Remove and discard seeds. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/2-inch shell. Cut melon into bite-size pieces. Slice the peach.
- In a large bowl, combine melon, berries and peach slices. Spoon into the swan shell and place on a serving platter. Garnish with
- mint and additional strawberries if desired.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 17, 2019
Would love to make this but cant find the pattern. Where do I find it?
Sep 12, 2016
what is the template they are talking about?
Mar 25, 2010
Thats Cute. I like that.Just have to be a good carver. Might take alittle practice so buy extra melons.