Melon Salad with Poppy Seed Vinaigrette
This salad is so refreshing because of the delicious ripe melon. The dressing is also very good on spinach.—Priscilla Gilbert, Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup each cubed cantaloupe, honeydew and seedless watermelon
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- In a large bowl, combine the melon, cucumber and mint; cover and refrigerate until serving.
- For vinaigrette, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, salt and mustard. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Cool. Transfer to a blender. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream. Stir in yogurt and poppy seeds.
- Pour half of the vinaigrette over melon mixture; toss to coat. Arrange spinach on a serving platter; top with melon. Drizzle with remaining vinaigrette.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 202 calories, 14g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 330mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Melon Poppy Seed Vinaigrette Salad in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2008