Mediterranean Vegetable Pitas Recipe
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 cup chopped seeded cucumber
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 cups torn romaine
- 8 whole wheat pita pocket halves
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1. In a large bowl, whisk the first six ingredients until blended; if desired, stir in cayenne. Add tomato, cucumber, onion and olives; toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving.
- 2. To serve, add lettuce to vegetables; toss to combine. Spoon into pita halves; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
2 filled pita halves: 354 calories, 19g fat (4g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 580mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 7g fiber), 9g protein.
Reviews for Mediterranean Vegetable Pitas
"I will use Kalamata olives instead of the ripe olives - which have no flavor, in my opinion. I know this will become a lunch favorite for us. Thanks much!"
"I didn't really care for these, but my husband and 2 kids them so I guess the recipe is a keeper!"
"I liked this dish, I thought it had a lot of flavor."
"great, l added cilantro and l couldn't fine small pita pockets so l cut mine in quarters. I served with fresh tomato soup. Yummy!"