"My family is not overly fond of seafood," confirms Erin Nicole Morris from OFallon, Missouri. "But they really enjoy this rich-tasting soup that combines shrimp and cod. Toss in a green salad and you have a satisfying meal.
Recommended: 28 Red Lobster Copycat Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups chopped sweet yellow or red peppers
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional chicken broth
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 8 ounces cod fillets, cut into pieces
- In a Dutch oven, saute peppers and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes, water, broth, rice, wine or additional broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in the shrimp and cod; cover and simmer for 2-4 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and fish flakes easily with a fork. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Mediterranean Seafood Chowder in Light & Tasty December/January 2002, p42