When entertaining, I rely on this make-ahead dish that's full of peppers, eggplant and zucchini. Low on sodium, it gets its delicious flair from garlic, basil and thyme. We like it on homemade bagel chips. —Margaret Potempa of Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 15 min. + chilling
Makesabout 2-1/2 cups
- 2 cups cubed peeled eggplant (1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 cup cubed sweet red pepper (1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 cup cubed green pepper (1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 cup cubed zucchini (1/2-inch cubes)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large tomato, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Toasted bread rounds
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the eggplant, peppers, zucchini and garlic in oil for 8 minutes. Add the tomato, vinegar, basil, thyme, sugar, salt and pepper. Cook 4-5 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Serve with toasted bread.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 45 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 121mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Mediterranean Salsa in Light & Tasty December/January 2003