Mediterranean Salad Sandwiches
These hearty, fresh-flavored sandwiches taste like a summer salad on a bun. Add iced tea, a side of sorbet and call it an easy supper! —Candice Garcia, Winter Haven, Florida
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 2 cups spring mix salad greens
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- 1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped pitted Greek olives
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 slices sourdough bread, toasted and halved
- In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon oil, garlic and salt; brush over mushrooms.
- Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack. Grill mushrooms, covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until tender.
- In a large bowl, combine the salad greens, tomato, peppers, cheese and olives. In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, oregano and remaining oil. Pour over salad mixture; toss to coat.
- Layer each of four half-slices of toast with a mushroom and 3/4 cup salad mixture; top with remaining toast.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 225 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 495mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 fat, 1 starch.
Originally published as Mediterranean Mushroom Burger in Healthy Cooking August/September 2008