Mediterranean Polenta Cups Recipe
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1. In a large heavy saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle boil; slowly whisk in cornmeal. Cook and stir with a wooden spoon for 15-20 minutes or until polenta is thickened and pulls away cleanly from the sides of the pan. Remove from the heat; stir in thyme and pepper.
- 2. Spoon heaping tablespoonfuls into miniature muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Using the back of a spoon, make an indentation in the center of each. Cover and chill until set. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, feta cheese, basil and garlic.
- 3. Unmold polenta cups and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Top each with 1 heaping tablespoon of tomato mixture. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 each: 26 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 62mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Mediterranean Polenta Cups
"My family loved these bite sized morsels!! Was a bit difficult to make with all of the stirring involved, but filling the mini muffin tray was simple if using two spoons. To keep the polenta from sticking to the spoon when making indentations, I rinsed the spoon with water between each cup. I'll definitely make again when I have time to devote to the stirring, or a free day to make in advance."
"These were very difficult to make--hard to get into the muffin cups. Tasted okay but not worth that much work and mess."