Mediterranean Lentil Salad
A light refreshing dressing lends a lemony lift to this Mediterranean mix of lentils, tomatoes, olives and feta cheese. "This good-for-you side taste terrific and goes together in a jiffy," says Melissa Nichols of Shorewood, Minnesota. "My family loves it served with homemade bread."
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + cooling
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes (about 4 medium)
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- In a saucepan, bring water and lentils to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Rinse under cold water; drain. Place in a large bowl to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the lemon juice, oil, garlic, sugar, thyme, salt and pepper; shake well. Add tomatoes, celery, cheese and olives to lentils; toss to combine.
- Add dressing and gently toss to coat. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 231 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 614mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 11g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
Originally published as Mediterranean Lentil Salad in Light & Tasty April/May 2002